Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Chocolate Pecan White Chocolate Biscotti

A few of the bloggers that I read pretty religiously recently did a joint blogging event where they all made biscotti, they chose one recipe and modified it as they saw fit. I have never made biscotti before, and was always very intimidated by the the fact that you not only had to cook it once, but after it was cooked, you then needed to cook it again.

I can't remember whose blog I ripped this recipe from, but their biscotti was chocolate almond flavored that she had modified from an Epicurious recipe. I wanted to change it a little, so in place of almonds, I used pecans, and in place of bittersweet chocolate chunks I used white chocolate. I am thoroughly impressed by how these came out and I think that I will be making more variants on this recipe in the near future.

2 C all purpose flour
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp b. soda
1 tsp salt
6 Tbs unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 C sugar
2 large eggs (room temperature)
1 C roasted chopped pecans (unsalted)
3/4 C white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or butter and flour.

Whisk flour, cocoa powder, b. soda and salt together in a bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter until creamed and very fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until well combined. Slowly stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough. Stir in pecans and white chocolate.

Divide dough in half. Form each half into a log about 2 inches wide and lay on prepared sheet. Remold if necessary on sheet and flatten the logs slightly. Bake for 35 minutes or until outside feels firm. Remove sheet from oven but leave oven on. Let logs cool for 15 minutes.

Transfer biscotti to cutting board. Using a serrated knife, gently slice logs diagonally into roughly 1/2 inch slices. Arrange cut biscotti on their side on baking sheet and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

wheresmymind said...

I much rather dig pecans than almonds!

JB said...

Yes, these were very crisp, and did have that signature snap. Definitely try this recipe.