Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Have you tried ... Bergenost?


I love cheese! When I was little I used to eat so much of it that my nana's favorite thing to say to me was, "if you keep eating all that cheese you'll be bound up tighter than a drum; you won't shit for a week." Well, who cares? I still love cheese, and I still eat a little of it almost every day. I must say though that when I was little all we had in the refrigerator was Land O' Lakes cheese, the white, not the yellow. I've come to think of cheese almost like I think of wine, there is so much out there, I don't think that it's possible for me to know all the different kinds. In order to broaden my cheese knowledge horizons I have taken to buying a cheese that I have never heard of or seen before each time I go to Trader Joe's. This time I chose a creamy Norwegan style butter cheese, Bergenost. Let me just say that this cheese is excellent, it's soft and mild and what's best about it is it's spreadable. It's so soft that you can just spread it on your cracker, or crostini, whatever. It's not just me who thinks that this cheese is amazing, it won the gold medal at the Regional Judging of the New York State Fair Cheese Contest in 1999. Not too shabby.

I have also taken the liberty of looking up the wines that pair best with this cheese, and they are: Cayuga White, Dry Reisling, Semi-dry Reisling, Seyval Blanc, Vingoles and Hunters Red.

If you see this at you local market, give it a try, you won't be dissapointed.

4 comments:

wheresmymind said...

I heard the '99 New York State Fair Cheese Contest was RIGGED!! hehe j/k It is a pretty tasty cheese :)

Crystal said...

You know, I used to HATE cheese. I'd pick it off fast food cheeseburgers and everything.

Unfortunately for my waistline, I met my cheese-heavy boyfriend and his family. They pushed it on me and now I love it too. Especially blue cheese...mmmmm!

-Crystal

Anonymous said...

Bergenost is great stuff! I love your blog. I could browse here for quite a while. You've done beautiful food photos. This could be the basis of a nice book. I need to quit drooling here and get some work done. Love - see ya soon.

JB said...

I am thinking of making a book. Thanks for saying the pics look good. I usually spend so much time taking pictures that the food goes cold.