Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Almond Scones...So Damn Good

Just like Britney Spears, this picture does not do this scone justice. Speaking of Britney, what the hell happened to that girl? I remember when I first moved to Boston back in 99' my roommate HL and I would rock out to Britney while clowning around the house, or working on our fitness at the gym. HL even made me a mix CD which included some Brit Brit songs on it, which we would play over and over again. This cd also contains the likes of the Backstreet Boys, Destiny's Child (back when Miss B could share some of the spotlight, but I guess that didn't work out so hot for her, because now Miss Jennifer Hudson and her American Idol third place ass is stealing all of Miss B's thunder around DreamGirls, you go Jennifer) it was also ripe with Eminem, who to this day I still think is a genius. I still listen to that cd and when I do, I always think how great that time of my life was. It's funny, because I'm at a point where I feel like every new year is the best year of my life, it just keeps getting better and better, every year. How amazing is that. How truly fucking amazing.

Well, the wheels have officially fallen off this post. I apologize, where was I, oh, the scones, that's right, the scones. The other day CB bought an almond croissant at the little coffee shop down the street from our house. I had a bite and thought, why have I never made an almond flavored anything? So, here we are, now I have, and I must say, that these were the best scones I have ever made; flavorful, light, sweet, awesome. Try them.


Recipe:


3 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup sweet butter
1 Tablespoon almond extract
1/2 cup half & half


Mix all dry ingredients. Cut in butter until coarse; do not over-mix. Add almond extract and mix in half & half. Form a round shape on floured surface with rolling pin with thickness of about 1-1/2 inches. Use cutter to make 8 to 10 scones. Place on a baking sheet, brush with milk, sprinkle sugar, and add sliced almonds. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 to 30 minutes or until golden in color

Rating = So Damn Good

2 comments:

wheresmymind said...

"Rock out to Britney" isn't that an Oxymoron? ;) I so wish I had one of your scones right now with my coffay!

Patricia Scarpin said...

JB,

Many tks for stopping by my blog and for these links - I like your scones a lot!

I'm crazy for almonds and I'm tagging this recipe - I'll give these scones a try any day now!

It's a good think you left that comment, so now I found your blog, too.

Patricia.

P.S.: I had a huge laugh with you text and loved the part about Miss B. - so true! :)