Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Pasta and Haddock Gratin

Sorry I've been MIA, we've had out of town guests, and I had to make a quick trip to Philadelphia so the cookin's been a little few and far between as of late. However I made up for it last night with this quick and delicious dinner. Mmm Mmm.

This is from that great little book I keep telling you people about 101 Simple Suppers, I can't sing the praises of this book enough.


Recipe:
12 oz penne or rigatoni
6 oz frozen spinach
1 oz butter
1 oz flour
2 C milk
1lb skinless haddock or cod fillets cut into chuncks
16 oz sharp cheddar grated
2 tomatoes, sliced
salt and pepper

1. Cook pasta in salted boiling water fora bout 12 minutes. Add spinach for the last 3 minutes of cooking time.


2. Meanwhile, whisk the butter, flour, and milk in a large pan until the mizxture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat, add the fish and simmer for 5 minutes or until the fish is just cooked. Remove from heat and stir in three-quarters of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.


3. Preheat the boiler. Drain the pasta and stir into the sauce. Pour into a 14 quart shallow ovenproof dish. Put the tomatoes on top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Broil for 5-7 minutes, until golden.


Per serving: calories 750 protien 48g carbs 80g fat 29g saturated fat 17g fiber 4g


Rating = So God Damn Good

3 comments:

wheresmymind said...

I'm always paranoid of chokin' on little fish bones with Had-DOCK! :)

Anonymous said...

750 calories? 29 grams of fat? I'm shocked you consumed that!

JB said...

I totally used low fat cheese and skim milk, so my version was much less ass enlarging.