Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Banana Oatmeal Bread | Cooking Light

First, with the onset of warm weather here in the northeast I must make an announcement. Ladies, I realize that it has been far far too long since we have been able to wear skirts without freezing out bits off, but I must implore you, before exiting the house in the skirt that you haven't worn in 9 months, please turn around and see what you look like from the back. Seriously, walk up to a full length mirror and turn around, does the skirt that you are wearing, that comes to just above your knee in the front somehow not cover that much landscape in the back?

In the two days of warm weather that we have had here I have had the dubious pleasure of following women who either did not care, or were just oblivious to the fact that their skirts, although a respectable length in the front, somehow barely covered their nether region in the back. And of course, when you are behind it you can't stop looking, it's like a person with a lazy eye, somehow you are always drawn to the lazy eye; I was drawn to what the skirt didn't cover (but should have). Try as I might to look away, I just kept staring wondering how people could have no idea what they look like from behind. Maybe this is the mullet version of the skirt, "business in the front, party in the back." Whatever it is, let's try to stop it, it's just not pretty.

On to the recipes I say. CB informed me the other day that he has been eating "far too many sweets" and made a humble request that I cut it with all the scones and muffins and such for a little bit. (It must be bikini time or something) So I have begun to try and do "light" baking, until he stops his petition for low-fat baked goods. This will however not affect the non baked items on this blog, those may still contain copious amounts of fat, although, probably not.

Banana Oatmeal Bread from Cooking Light:
1 cup packed brown sugar
7 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1 1/3 cups mashed ripe banana (about 2 large)
1 cup regular oats
1/2 cup fat-free milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Cooking spray Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat well at medium speed of a mixer. Combine banana, oats, and milk; add to sugar mixture, beating well. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir with a whisk. Add to sugar mixture; beat just until moist. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Yield: 18 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 185(30% from fat); FAT 6.1g (sat 1.2g,mono 1.8g,poly 2.8g); PROTEIN 3.3g; CHOLESTEROL 12mg; CALCIUM 72mg; SODIUM 200mg; FIBER 1.3g; IRON 1.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.1g

Rating = Good
I give this just a good rating because I have tasted much better low fat recipes before. This one seemed very dry and crumbled easily when cut, making it hard to eat. I may try this recipe again, but experiment with egg substitute and applesauce to add more moisture to the final product.

If any of you have tried and true low fat baking recipes I'd love for you to share them with me. Thanks.

8 comments:

AlwaysJoy said...

joy.clarkI have a good (or at least I think it's good) banana bread recipe that has no added fats when you use egg substitute (which I do) if you'd like the recipe I can email it to you.

JB said...

Joy - I would love that - I'll post my email on the Beanie board if you don't already have it.

tammy said...

I solve that skirt problem by never wearing skirts.

Patricia Scarpin said...

JB, I live in a so called tropical country - can you imagine my despair?? lol

The banana bread looks so delicious I almost doubt what you wrote about it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you made this before I did. Will look for another recipe to use up my three bananas on now. Thanks for being "right on top of that, Rose!".

Anonymous said...

One of my absolute favorite recipes is CL's Marbled Banana Bread. Also, their CL's Mom's Banana Bread is also very good -- a matter of fact in my oven right now (plus some choc chips).

Nicole said...

While I cannot yet vouch for the recipe I made today, my two-year old just ate three slices. She's never eaten one full slice of any quick bread before.

http://blog.atomictonic.com/2007/04/we_go_to_11_1.html

Shauna said...

Yum!! You should submit this recipe to the Moist Banana Bread Contest:

http://www.squidoo.com/moist-banana-bread-recipe

Winner gets a $50 gift card to Sur La Table!!

blessings,

Shauna