Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Meat and Potatoes...Part 1

We have a married couple that we spend a considerable amount of time with, I was actually a bridesmaid in their wedding. JP, the husband grew up on processed foods and soda, EP, the wife diligently tries to expand her husbands culinary experience. Her favorite story of JP is when after a long camping trip he said he couldn't wait to get home and have a home cooked meal with homemade "instant" mashed potatoes. I found this so sad, that his idea of homemade food came out of a box. I've come to just refer to EP/JP as meat and potatoes when referencing them in a story. We had them over for dinner the other night, and because of the moniker which is based completely on experience, I made them meat (BBQ pulled pork, post to come tomorrow) and homemade potato fries. To go with the fries I made a Dijon dipping sauce. They both loved it, operation meat and potatoes was a success.

Oven Roasted Potato Fries
4 potatoes, scrubbed and cut into wedges
Olive oil - enough to coat potatoes
any mixture of herbs you want - I used parsley, basil, and chicken grill spices
sea salt
fresh ground black pepper

Place wedges on a baking sheet and cook in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, flipping potatoes half way through.

Dijon Mustard Sauce
1/2 c low fat mayo
3/4 c low fat sour cream
1// c Dijon mustard (or to your taste, you can add more)
Combine all ingredients together

Rating = Damn Good

3 comments:

cookiecrumb said...

You know how change comes about: One person at a time.
Thanks for feeding your friend well.

Anonymous said...

JB - Thanks for partaking in pub crawl festivities on Saturday. It was great to see you. Looking forward to trying the lemon poppyseed muffin. I've become more of a baker since I started reading your blog!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I love the dotted potatoes, JB.
Last night I arrived home willing to make the lemon poppyseed muffins but I was out of yogurt - darn it.

These potatoes look delicious, I know I'm gonna try them soon!