Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Meat and Potatoes...Part Deux.. Southern BBQ Pulled Pork


First let me start this post by giving big Happy Birthday to my Dad! Second let me say say that yes, this is another crock pot recipe, and no, I do not have a problem with conventional cooking methods, its just that pulled bbq anything should be cooked for hours so that the meat is tender and moist and filled with bbq goodness, okay?

This is what was served along side the potato fries for EP/JP the other night. And it was So God Damn Good people, seriously. However, the particular BBQ sauce was a southern bbq sauce so it had a little bit of a kick to it. I'd love to try and make a maple or honey bbq sauce, so if anyone has a recipe for that please send it along to me because I promised "meat and potatoes" that I would bring some pulled bbq chicken to the Father's Day outing next month.

Southern BBQ Pulled Pork
1C ketchup
1C chili sauce
1/4 C Dijon mustard
3 tbsp cider vinegar
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
4 garlic cloves minced
3 pounds Boston pork butt
1/4 c water
kaiser rolls for serving

Directions:
1. In a medium sauce pan combine ketchup, chili sauce, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, honey, soy sauce, red pepper flakes and garlic. bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for five minutes uncovered. let cool to room temperature.

2. Putt pork in a large zipper top plastic bag, pour the bbq sauce over the pork, seal and marinate at least 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator, turning the bag over a few times if possible.

3. Remove the pork from the marinade and put in the slow cooker. pour the marinade into a small bowl, add the water, and mix well. Pour over the roast. cover and cook on low until the meat it fork tender 8 to 10 hours.

4. Transfer pork to a platter (the directions say to tent with aluminum foil for ten minutes before carving, but I'm not patient enough for that so I started to dig right in) put pork back in BBQ sauce in cooker to keep warm until ready to serve.

5. Spoon onto kaiser buns an serve.

Rating = So God Damn Good

3 comments:

WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Oh dear. I'm glad you enjoyed your pulled pork, but my dear it is not barbecue by any stretch of the imagination. It's pot roast.

For BBQ, you need live fire and smoke.

Anonymous said...

Hi JB!
Now that I have the hang of this commenting, here I am again. I made this recipe a week or so ago. The flavor was wonderful, and I will definitely make it again, but mine was a bit watery. I used my crock pot. I'm more of a baker than a cook, and I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for making it less watery or if I did something wrong. I'd definitely leave out the 1/4c. water next time, and buy my pork from the meat shop instead of the grocery store. (I'm suspicious that they inject all kinds of crap, mostly water, into the supermarket meats, but that's another topic.)Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
SAK

JB said...

SAK - I'm trying to remember if I added the water or not. But what I can say is the longer you leave the pork in the crockpot and let it simmer away (after the cooking period) the more it will thicken. It just may need to sit and stew a little more. Also, I guess you could add a little flour, or a little cornstarch mixed with some of the extra juice, that may help.