Thursday, April 19, 2007

Melissa's Spicy Feta Spread

My friend Melissa posted this recipe on our community board way back in March of 06. Why God why did I wait over a year to make this spread? It is so damn good, and so simple to make. Melissa's original recipe called for green and red jalapeno peppers, but I used three different types of peppers (red bell, green chili, and sweet Italian), because that was what looked good at Haymarket the day I went shopping for ingredients.



Melissa's Spicy Feta Spread Recipe:
4 to 6 green and red jalapeno peppers, roasted, peeled and diced
1 lb. Greek feta cheese, finely crumbled
1/4 lb. cream cheese (I used lite cream cheese)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed

To roast the peppers, place them on a baking sheet in an oven on 500 degrees. Bake until peppers are soft enough to peel the skins, about 20 minutes.

Blend the feta and cream cheese in a mixer or blender until smooth. Mix in the roasted peppers, olive oil and garlic. Add the lemon juice one tablespoon at a time. Taste the mixture and continue adding lemon juice accordingly to balance the flavor. You might not need all of the lemon juice depending on the type of feta used.

Refrigerate and use as a spread on pita or bread, or as a dip for veggies.

Rating = So Damn Good

2 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

JB, this is the perfect recipe - easy and delicious.
I'm not familiar with jalapeƱos so your choice of peppers is great for me.

Kimberly @ Turning the Pages said...

This is one I'm definetly going to try!