Monday, April 30, 2007

Rosemary Thingies...

One of the things I did this weekend was clean out the refrigerator. We officially have one half gallon of milk, a Britta water filter some butter, and a jar of salsa in the refrigerator now. And that's okay, every fridge needs a good cleaning every once and a while so it doesn't start to grow fur and walk away on its own. While cleaning out the fridge I noticed that I had about a cup of plain lowfat yogurt that needed to be used before it went bad, and because I'm heading to San Antonio tomorrow I knew that if I didn't use it right then, it was going down the garbage disposal when I got back. So, armed with one measly cup of yogurt I tried to make an edible savory thing. It's not a scone, its not a muffin, its not a biscuit, I don't know what it is, but you know what - it was good.

Rosemary Thingie
2 cups flour
3 tbs sugar
2 tsp b. powder
2 tsp b. soda
3/4 tsp salt
5 tbs butter
1 cup plain lowfat yogurt
3 tbs fresh chopped rosemary

Preheat oven to 425.

1. combine all dry ingredients in large bowl.
2. cut in butter
3. make well in center, add yogurt - combine until dough forms, it will be very sticky
4. turn out onto WELL floured surface and knead until mixture comes together. make ball and then flatten to about 8 inches wide and 1/2 inch think (or however you desire)
5. cut into 8 wedges, place on greased cookie sheet
6. Bake for 15 minutes

Rating = surprisingly good

Another thing that I did this weekend was watch Fight Club again. I really love this movie, and I really enjoy reading Chuck Palahniuk. I've read most of his books and have attended a reading of Guts, one of his short stories, that he read at the Coolidge Corner theater a few years ago. Guts is a bit of a disturbing story, as most of his are; disturbing in that it is so real. He describes things in a way that you are forced to relate to, he describes things the way we think them, or the way certain parts of our brains think them, that maybe our conscious mind doesn't want to believe we do. Guts is such a well executed story that at every reading he has ever given of it, multiple people have passed out, multiple people at every reading. How crazy is that. He has actually stopped reading that story in public, because one person who fainted at a Barnes and Noble (or some other book store) actually hit their head on the way down and required medical attention. He just has a way of saying things, a way of stringing words together that stops you and makes you think.

"More and more, it feels like I'm doing a really bad impersonation of myself."

Chuck Pahalniuk

4 comments:

tammy said...

Wow, I'll have to read that story. Those thingies sound delicious.

Patricia Scarpin said...

I'm so interested in this writer now, JB. You really got me curious.

I remember when I read "The Zoo Story" many years ago and I felt like dying or something.

Your scones/muffins look delicious, I love rosemary.

Anonymous said...

I've got my rosemary growing... now I can make some thingies!

AlwaysJoy said...

I tried to make the thingies I think I did something wrong! It was still liquid when it was time to pour it onto the floured board. So since I figured I better not do that I threw it in the bread machine.