Monday, April 02, 2007

Whole Wheat Bread with Flax Seed

It's so good to be back and cooking again. I'm still trying to get over the allergy/cold thing that has attacked my face and throat. I went to the doctor this morning to get a prescription for anything that will block the God awful allergens from entering my nose/eyes/throat, and while I was there my doctor wanted to go over the results from the echocardiogram that I had done about three weeks ago.

A little history, when I was born I was diagnosed with a VSD heart murmur which is a ventricular septal defect, or an opening in the dividing wall between the two lower chambers of the heart, and is congenital meaning it's present at birth. I've lived with this diagnoses all my life (31 years) and it's never stopped me from doing anything, (except scuba diving) I've run three marathons with this little defect and never though about it, I run so much that my resting heart rate is 44 beats per minute, I've begun to love my athlete heart with is loud weird swooshing beat. Today the doctor told me that not only did they find my murmur during testing, but they discovered that one of my valves is leaking, meaning that one of my valves is not closing tightly and blood is leaking back across the valve. Right now it's not causing a problem, but if it gets worse it can lead to heart failure among other things. So, if any of you have any knowledge of valve disease or have it yourself, I'd love to hear from you, because I'm a little bumbed this morning.

I realize that the above has nothing to do with baking bread, but that's what I did last night, and I think there is nothing like the smell of homemade bread wafting from your oven. It makes me and my leaking valve feel good.


Recipe:
2 1/2 teaspoons dry instant yeast
1 1/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey, molasses, or maple syrup (I used molasses)
3 1/2 cups whole wheat bread flour (more if needed)
1/4 cup nonfat dried milk
1 1/4 teaspoon salt


Optional: I added about 1/8 c whole flax seeds.


For mixer, mix with a spoon until dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. Now using the dough hooks knead dough for 6 to 8 minutes or until it becomes smooth and supple. Place dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover and place in a warm place rises and becomes puffy about 60 minutes. Dough may not double in size this is ok.


Transfer dough to a lightly oiled surface and shape into a log about 8 1/2 inches long. Place log into a bread pan, cover loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap and allow bread to rise for 1 hour or until crowned about 1 inch above edge of pan.


Bake bread in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes, or it sounds hollow when thumped on bottom of loaf.


I got this recipe from CD Kitchen, here is a link to the website.(http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/394/Classic-100-Whole-Wheat-Bread79644.shtml)

Rating = So Damn Good

4 comments:

MLT said...

Oh, sad. Are you OK? Please keep me posted re: heart. Hope ATL was good...did you get my message last week...too many margaritas! :)

wheresmymind said...

I don't think I've ever read of a bread recipe that measures oil/sweetness in cups :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Oh, JB, I'm sorry to hear that. What else did the doctor tell you to do/not to do? Follow what he said and take care of yourself.

Your bread looks delicious and I can almost feel the smell here. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Did the Southern yellow snow bother you? It has been horrible this year!
I have a lot of experience with holey hearts...my son was born with one 21 years ago. His congenital defect was very complicated, but has slowed him down very little. I do know that some of the premier cardiac programs are in Boston. They can do a lot with hearts now without major surgery. You have obviously taken great care of yours!