Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Low Low Fat Strawberry Banana Bread

So, I had a banana that was just about to give off hoards of fruit flies, some strawberries that had lost their sheen, and a husband who apparently has a date with some swimsuit catalog photographer who won't eat any baked fattening foods right now, and is constantly walking around the house with his shirt off asking me to look at his "almost" six pack, his stance complete with muscle man flexing groaning sounds. What to do, what to do?

A while back, like in September, I made a healthy apple bread from a recipe I got out of Healthy Cooking magazine and it was great and super low fat. I decided to use that recipe as the base for this, but use the strawberries and bananas instead of the cut up apples. What I ended up with was a great bread. It was flavorful and moist and healthy, the only thing I may have changed was to use frozen cut up strawberries instead of fresh ones. I say this because the strawberries have so much moisture in them, that the next day the cake was a little soggy around the strawberries, and I was afraid that the loaf wasn't going to keep. So you know, we ate the whole bloody loaf within two days. Is it still guilt free if you eat the whole thing?

I like this recipe so much that I am thinking about making it again with banana and frozen blueberries which I think would ROCK!

2C flour
1/2C brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4C unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 C sliced strawberries
1 mashed banana

Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly spray an 8 x 4 in loaf pan with non fact cooking spray. In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda/powder and cinnamon. Stir in applesauce, banana and vanilla and mix until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in strawberries. Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Makes 10 servings.

Rating = So Damn Good

5 comments:

jen said...

looks so delicious and moreish!

jen said...

looks so delicious, and moreish... which is good with the low fat factor

Patricia Scarpin said...

Well, JB, I think I could use some light food as well. Your recipes will come in very handy. :)

The bread looks good and tender, I think this recipe is great and many variations are possible.

wheresmymind said...

What...no scones? ;)

Laura said...

just made it, waiting for it to finish baking! cant wait! thanks for a great (EASY) recipe!