Thursday, May 10, 2007

Take 2 of these and call me in the morning...Pomegranate Martini

I have a friend who always says, "martinis are like tits, one is not enough, three is too much, but two, two is just right." Ah sage advice I say. Anyway, this was my dinner last night, now, I'm not condoning a liquid diet, or a diet made up of only alcohol, but at least I chose a antioxidant rich mixer to go with my vodka.
Why you ask, did I have two martinis for dinner? Well, because I fell. I fell going home. Not like a little trip, this was a full on yard sale. I was running for the train and I tripped on a safety strip (that's irony for you). I was running to catch the blue line and right as I got to the train I felt the top of my sandal catch on something, but there was so much momentum behind me that I just couldn't recover, and I fell, ass over tea kettle. I had two bags in my hand which went flying, my sunglasses which were on my head, skipped across the brick waiting area, my business card case which holds my T-pass clanked on the ground. I was a spectacle indeed. I didn't realize how bad the fall was until the man who saw it all happen yelled "Oh My God" as he ran toward my rescue, it was at this point that everyone from the packed train got off to help pick up my scattered articles, some nice man handed me my sunglasses, another my bag, another literally picked me up and righted me on my feet. The conductor of the train even came off and walked me into the train, as a nice man made me take his seat. There was much asking, "are you ok?" "yes I'm fine, thanks" in reply. As I sat on the train and assessed my injuries, I counted three cuts on my hand, and two banged up knees. The problem with being a marathon runner is we have absolutely no fat around our joints, we are all sharp angles where the bones meet. I could feel that I had banged the bone on the outside of my right knee, and the inside of my left. I sat on the train and pondered the most important question, could I still get my run in? I decided to go to the gym and run on the treadmill, this way of something started to feel weird I could just jump off and not be stranded 5 miles from home. So I went to the gym, the run was fine, a little creaky but fine nonetheless. When I got home my stomach was a little upset; I don't know about you, but whenever I bang a bone, or get a bad bruise, my stomach gets all blah and I lose my appetite. So I wasn't hungry, but my legs hurt and my hand was all scratchy and that hurt too, so I decided a little bit of grandma's cough syrup was just the thing to take the edge off. I was right, it was great.



Pomegranate Martini
You have to chill the glass first, it just makes it so much better, then dip the edge of the glass in colored sugar to make it all purty.

  • 3 ounces vodka (I used Belvedere)
    1 ounce pomegranate syrup
  • 3 ounces white cranberry juice (I just used what I had in the refrigerator)

Mix in cocktail shaker, pour into chilled glass. Enjoy. Repeat.


Rating = So Damn Good


When I got up this morning, my hand was fine, my right knee was a little red, but my left knee, is purple. Nice big Barney colored bruise. I'm sexy. On my way to work this morning I saw this window display and it made me laugh, becuase this is how my body feels this morning.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes i'm surprised CB lets you out of the house unsupervised.

be careful dabbling with meals consumed via straws. some people won't understand, but with your history, it's a slippery slope.

:)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your fall -- a few years back I fell down the stairs of the Govt Center T stop. I do have some padding on me but things went flying. Wasn't pretty.

That martini sounds great -- never made my own. Hmm, have to figure what I can rig from my kitchen to mix it.

Really enjoy your blog --

Nicole said...

I'm impressed with your Buster Keaton routine - it must have been grand if it got Bostonians to come to your aid.

...Can I call you Patsy if you continue to drink your meals?

JB said...

I love Patsy, you can call me Patsy whenever you want. sweetie darling.

Anonymous said...

You had me laughing at your misery~ your fault! (or should I say your fall-t?) The window dressing topped it off.
I do think the pomegranate martini was an appropriate cure!

wheresmymind said...

I can honestly say that no one has sexier bruises than JB! :D

Patricia Scarpin said...

OMG, sweetie! I really hope you're feeling better.

I wish I knew about this martini therapy back in last September when I slipped in one of the offices stairways and got all purple and one one of my ribs got chipped (can I use that word?)

Behave yourself, woman! :)

Kate B said...

It's so much easier to buy the pomegranate martini mix and just add vodka! I'm addicted - what can I say. I blame it on my boss.