Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Angel Hair Pasta w/ Sundried Tomatoes, Basil and Goat Cheese

Nothing fancy here folks, just plain good food. Want to know something about me that I think is odd? I hate, loathe, despise the taste of raw tomatoes, like vine ripe tomatoes. But I love the flavor of tomatoes any other way; sundried, cooked whole plum tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, anything made with tomatoes just so long as they are not raw. The actual smell of a raw tomato gives me that horrible shoulder hunch, head back, tongue sticking out gag reflex. It actually makes me shake my head and go blaaughhh, yuck. Yeah, so there's a bit of information that you really didn't need to know, and most likely don't care about. Moving right along.

This recipe takes oh, about 10 minutes to pull together which is great for nights when you don't really feel like cooking.

Recipe:
1 box angel hair pasta (cooked to al dente)
1 shallot diced
1 jar sundried tomatoes in olive oil (roughly chopped)
1/2 log goat cheese
1 large handful fresh basil torn into pieces
Olive oil to coat pan
salt and pepper

1. In saute pan over medium heat cook shallot until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add sundried tomatoes to pan and cook until heated through, about another 5 minutes. The pasta should be cooking at this time. Add 1/2 of the chopped basil to the saute pan just to incorporate into the tomato mixture.

2. When pasta is done, use pasta spoon to transfer pasta to the saute pan. Add about 1 cup of the pasta water to the pan. Mix together evenly distributing the tomatoes throughout the pasta.

3. Transfer to individual serving bowls and top with extra basil and crumbled goat cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Rating = So Damn Good

The pasta may be a little sticky, if this happens just pour a little olive oil over the pasta. Also, Olive oil can be added to the pasta water before boiling the pasta, this will help it not stick together while cooking.

3 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

I find this dish really delicious, JB - simple and perfect.

My husband feels the same way about tomatoes. :)

AFN said...

This looks great! I think I will make it for dinner tonight to use up the rest of the basil I have in the frig! ;-)

JB said...

Chez Kova - this recipe is so simple and so full of flavor. I hope you like it.