Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Food for Thought | Chiffonade

I don't have a food post today, however, I do have a thought post, so maybe it's a food for thought post. The word chiffonade, sounds all special doesn't it? Like if you saw it on the menu of some fancy restaurant in such a way; scallops in a white wine butter sauce topped with a chiffonade of fresh basil" you might say to yourself, wow that really is worth $22 bucks a plate for 4 scallops, what, with having gone through all the trouble to chiffonade the basil, that must be tough work.

If there is one thing that I am grateful for about learning how to cook and becoming more versed in the culinary language it's that I feel I can look at a menu and say...phooey, that's just a really fancy way of saying you took a handful of basil, rolled the shit up and then sliced it with your big fat chef knife. I'm wicked smart.


wheresmymind said...

You are not wicked are whiiicked smaaat!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Oh, boy, I just cried here - you make me laugh so hard sometimes, sweetie.