Friday, August 31, 2007

Quinoa with Raisins and Pine Nuts

I've been reading back over my latest posts, and sorry guys, I've been really lame as of late. I offer a few reasons for this. I've been on a diet, and now I'm a crazy, carb craving bitch. I'm on a diet becasue CB and I will be going away for our anniversary soon. We will be going to a place where for the better part of a week I will be wearing nothing more than a bikini, or some other scantly clad outfit because it will be hot as balls, and we will be on the beach. I have a fear that someone will mistake me for a beached whale and report me to the oceanographic insititute, so I've been trying to loose a few pounds. Innevitably my blog has suffered, mainly because I have no self control, if I make it I will eat it. See the limes on the counter in the back of the picture, yeah, well, I made key lime squares again last night, and because I have no self control, I ate them for breakfast. I REST MY CASE!

And honestly, I just haven't been baking or cooking much lately, and what I have been making has already been blogged about in the past, and I'm sure you don't want leftovers and re-runs on the blog.

I did make this the other night to go with CB's pork chops, and it was really good. I had this at a French Bistro on Newbury Street a few weeks ago, except they used dates instead of raisins. I didn't have dates, and I wasn't making a special trip, so raisins it was. It was excellent, quinoa is really my favorite side dish right now, it's beating out potatoes, and for an Irish girl, that's a hard thing to say.

Quinoa with Raisins and Pine Nuts
1C water
1 scant C quinoa
1/3 C raisins
1/4 C pine nuts
salt and pepper

In a sauce pan combine water and quinoa, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 10 minutes, add raisins and pine nuts, cover and continue cooking for 10 more minutes, or until all water has been absorbed by the quinoa. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Rating = So Damn Good

6 comments:

AlwaysJoy said...

What is quinoa?

JB said...

Joy - Quinoa was referred to by the Incas as the 'mother of all grains" I blogged about it here in this post.
http://urbandrivel.blogspot.com/2007/06/have-you-tried-quinoa-keen-wa.html
It's so good for you - I suggest that you try it next time you are considering cous cous or rice.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, sweetie,

Dieting sucks big time but it's necessary sometimes, right?
I hope you and CB have loads of fun on your trip - I'm off for my vacation, too, my plane leaves on Sep, 9.

I've been planning on trying quinoa forever but always postpone it in the end - this looks delicious! And healthy, yay!

Nicole said...

ok! craziest diet ever. ready? drink olive oil.

http://sethroberts.net/

extra light, 1 to 2 tbsp. at a time, one hour on either end of it without eating or tasting anything else (no toothpaste, water ok).

it's crazy. yes. yes it is. but it also works. it curbs your appetite. kills, at least a bit, the carb/sugar-craving.

i do 1.5 an hour after breakfast and another sometime deep in the afternoon. the first time it hits, you're like, shit, how am i supposed to convince myself to eat enough today?

also makes your joints sing, which, as a runner, you might enjoy.

i double dog dare you to try it from now to the airport.

JB said...

Nicole - as crazy as it sounds, I will look into it. Glug.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Dieting is the pits!
It looks like there is still good eating at your house =D