Monday, September 24, 2007

Blackberry Basil Crumble | Animal Vegetable Miracle


I'm almost done with the Animal, Vegetable, Miracle the book that Anelise suggested I read. Its a truly wonderful book, and it has some great recipes. If you are at all interested in learning where your food comes from, and how the whole agricultural world works I suggest you pick up this book. I know - agriculture, yawn, but this book is so well written, it reads like a novel, a history lesson, and a cooking lesson, it's fabulous. It's not that I didn't have some grasp of how truly f'd up the whole government control of livestock and farms was, but this book arms you with so many facts and figures, that you just can't help but feel empowered to make better food choices after reading the book. I know really understand why local food may cost more, but why it's worth every penny to buy local.

This recipe is one of the many that are in the book, and also on the website. I'm not going to post the recipe because I'd like everyone to click the link and just mosey around the books website. The recipe can be found on the website by clicking the recipes link.

This recipe takes maybe 15 minutes to pull together and it was so good. We made five individual bowls on Friday, they were all gone by Saturday. A very unique and tasty dessert. Perfect for the summer months when blackberries and basil are in abundance. Enjoy.

Rating = So God Damn Good

2 comments:

Becky said...

This dessert looks fabulous! I haven't read the book, but I have also been trying to be more conscious about my food purchases. If only it were easier to find local/organic versions of everything you need. Ah well, one can only hope. Take care!

Trevor said...

blackberris and basil, sounds like a great combo that I've never even tried!