Monday, December 10, 2007

Rosemary Hummus

I'm not very happy today. I'm sick. I have a very bad stomach ache. I think the Mexican stomach has reared it's ugly head again. Top that off with the fact that a fat man in a car yelled "fuck you" out his window today as I crossed the street, while I had the walk sign, no less. Apparently I wasn't moving fast enough for his fat ass, probably due to the fact that I'm dealing with Montezuma's Revenge in my stomach right now. Thanks Asshole. Merry Christmas to you too, you jackass. Normally I'm full of quick witted responses, and I generally get the better of people when it comes to a battle of wits, but today I just didn't have it in me. I'm going to the doctor this afternoon where hopefully she will give me drugs to kill whatever beast has taken up residence in my GI track and is wreaking holy hell on my insides. Better living through chemistry, isn't that the saying.

Anyway - what I would really like for Christmas other than a settled stomach, would be to be a cookbook reviewer for America's Test Kitchen. I think I would rock the house at that assignment.

This hummus recipe is altered from the one in the Best Light Recipe book that I got at the beginning of the year. I've made this hummus recipe no less than 5 times in the past few months, and every time I bring it somewhere people always comment about how good it is. I adapted the recipe by adding a tablespoon of freshly chopped rosemary leaves to the recipe just at the end of processing. I also use the zest of a whole lemon in addition to the lemon juice that is called for in the recipe.
The rosemary and the lemon pair really well together and make for a fresh and aromatic dip that seems to please all. Also, the woody smell of the rosemary is really great this time of year.

Rosemary Hummus The Best Light Recipes (altered)
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas drained and rinsed
6 tbs water
3 tbs juice from one large lemon plus zest from that lemon
2 tbs tahini
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 small garlic clove minced
1 tbs chopped fresh Rosemary

1.Process the chickpeas, water, lemon juice, lemon zest, tahini, 2 tsp of the oil, salt, garlic and cayenne together in the food processor until very smooth, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add chopped rosemary and pulse a few more times to incorporate.

2. Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the flavors meld, about 30 minutes. (The hummus covered can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to temperature and season with additional lemon juice, salt, and cayenne as needed before serving.) To serve, make a well in the center of the hummus, drizzle with remaining teaspoon of olive oil in the well.

Per 1/4 Cup Serving: Call 100; Fat 5g; Sat Fat .5g; Chol 0mg; Carb 10g; Protein 4g; Fiber 3g; Sodium 320mg

Rating = So Damn Good

2 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

JB, I do hope you're feeling better already, dear. Stomach flu is a bitch (and so is the fat driver). :)

I have that book but the lack of photos keeps me from reaching out for it everytime I want to cook something new.

Your hummus looks and sounds delicious - I love the idea of using zest!

Anonymous said...

I've always added rosemary to my hummus and continue to do so since I've switched to the Best Light Recipe version. It's great!