Monday, February 04, 2008

Most Clicked Chocolate Cake

So, I'm still having some lingering effects from the "Mexican Stomach" issues that I got while visiting Cozumel in November. I spent the afternoon on Friday at the gastroenterologists office discussing the problems I've had in my stomach and esophogas since my visit to Mexico, and being examined for various ailments. The remedy for my problem is a combination of diet and prescription drugs for four weeks. Drugs I can handle, but the diet is going to be a killer; no chocolate, peppermint, coffee, or ALCOHOL, for four weeks. No wine with dinner for four weeks, no hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps for four weeks, no Wednesday martini for four weeks. As you can see I took the news quite well. I decided the four weeks would start on the following Saturday, and immediately went home and made this cake.

The most downloaded cake recipe ever.

It's got chocolate and coffee in it, two of the things I am now going to have to go without for four weeks. I made it for my mom's birthday, which is actually today, but we celebrated on Saturday and thank Jebus it was a terrific cake becuase it is gone and will not linger on the cake platter enticing me to eat it for days. It's gone, and so too is the alcohol, chocolate, coffee and peppermint for four weeks. I really do want my esophogas to heal and my stomach to get better, so I guess it's a small price to pay for that, but phooey, it still sucks a little.

Double Chocolate Layer Cake
Epicurious.com


For cake layers
• 3 ounces fine-quality semisweet chocolate such as Callebaut
• 1 1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
• 3 cups sugar
• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
• 3 large eggs
• 3/4 cup vegetable oil
• 1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
• 3/4 teaspoon vanilla

For ganache frosting
• 1 pound fine-quality semisweet chocolate such as Callebaut
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
• 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter

Special equipment
• Two 10- by 2-inch round cake pans


DIRECTIONS
Make cake layers:Preheat oven to 300° F and grease pans. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper and grease paper.

Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot coffee. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

Into a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat
eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored (about 3 minutes with a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer). Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well. Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well. Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Cool layers completely in pans on racks. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks. Carefully remove wax paper and cool layers completely. Cake layers may be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped well in plastic wrap, at room temperature.


Make frosting:Finely chop chocolate. In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan bring cream, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil over moderately low heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted. Cut butter into pieces and add to frosting, whisking until smooth.


Transfer frosting to a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally, until spreadable (depending on chocolate used, it may be necessary to chill frosting to spreadable consistency). Spread frosting between cake layers and over top and sides. Cake keeps, covered and chilled, 3 days. Bring cake to room temperature before serving.

Rating = So God Damn Good

8 comments:

Pam said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your issues (and makes me fear visiting my gastrointerologist). This was an excellent cake to have before starting the diet. I made this back in September, and I doubt I will ever make a different chocolate cake again.

Joel said...

No chocolate...

...four weeks...

...I don't get it.

At least you're taking it out in style- looks fabulous!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I would like to share a piece with you. This cake looks too good. Enjoy.

tammy said...

Sucks a lot. Feel better soon.

test it comm said...

That cake looks so decadently good!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better and the 4 weeks zooms by.

And,to say that picture looks incredible is an understatment. If I could just reach into the computer.

Drewski said...

you should use a sharper knife to cut your cake, then it will look more pristine. i love the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe... as for your throat & stomach issues, look up what kefir can do for your tummy & what organic apple cider vinegar can do for acid reflux. Just don't take both at the same exact time. I've been told to eat yogurt for a month before going on a trip to Mexico & kefir is even better than yogurt... make sure to get the non-sweetened kind.