Wednesday, February 20, 2008

No Pic Vegan Oatmeal Scones

Honestly, there is no picture of these scones because we ate them, all, rather quickly. They were here, and then they were gone and I didn't get a picture. Sorry. But be assured, they were damn good people. One of the best vegan scone recipes I've tried yet.

There's a lot going on in the life of JB_CB right now, and it involves real estate. CB and I decided to buy a house, yes, a big honking house. This is weird for us becuase we've always lived in teeny tiny apartments or slightly bigger than teeny tiny condos in the City, so the whole, multiple bedrooms, backyards with grass, attic and basement for storage, is all foreign to us.

So we put our house on the market last week and to say that it's been freaking crazy is to put it mildly, we've already had 3 second showings, 12 couples came to the first open house and we've already gotten an offer (which we declined, but that's ok, more will come). What's crazy is that CB and I haven't exactly found a house to move into yet, we've just picked the town and the most desireable streets in that town, so now, we're crapping our pants just a little bit now that it looks like our condo is going to sell much quicker than we anticipated, and we could possibly not have found a house yet, hence being homeless. Maybe I should pimp out my cooking and baking skills...will feed you for room and board? Huh? Anyway, the whole having the condo on the market is not the ideal situation for a food blogger becuase unfortunately the house has to be in "show condition" at all times, which means I can't make a mess in the kitchen and just leave it there, so for a little while, the food posts will be scarce, but I promise, when I have that big honkin suburban chefs kitchen the posts will be fan-fucking-tastic.

Vegan Oatmeal Scone About.com Vegetarian Cooking
1/2 cup vegan margarine or Crisco (I used 1/4 cup soy butter, 1/4 cup applesauce)
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup raisins, optional
1/3 cup vanilla or plain soy milk

Preheat oven to 375F.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Cut in margarine until mixture becomes uniformly crumbly. Stir in oats and raisins.

Add soy milk and mix gently until a soft dough begins to cling together.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface and pat it into a 7 inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown and firm when pressed lightly in the center.

Makes 8 scones.

Rating = So Damn Good

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love scones, but have never tried a vegan version. I'll have to give them a go.

Good luck with your house hunt. I recently bought a condo/townhouse with 2 bedroom, attic storage, laundry, and a big kitchen. You're going to love having more space!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Buying a house is a huge step, sweetie - João and I have been thinking about it lately, too (after 3 years of marriage).
Good luck!

And when you do buy it I'll stitch something beautiful for your new home.

JB said...

Oh, Patricia, thanks so much. Its funny, I never thought of us as house people, I always thought we were City condo people. It's weird.