Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Maple Mustard Dressing | Vegan


Saturday I decided it was time to move my peppers and tomatoes that we're lovingly started from seed by E out of the playpen and into the big boy pots so they could grow up nice and tall and give me some delicious free vegetables because God knows groceries aren't getting any cheaper anytime soon.

So, off to the garden store I went to by terra cotta pots, organic potting soil and organic plant feed. Because we are still in the retirement village until next month I don't have a large outdoor workspace, so I had to cover the kitchen counter with bags and do my repotting inside. p>

As I opened the bag of organic potting soil I nearly passed out. This bag smelled so horrid. It smelled like a very large horse had crapped in a ziploc bag, sealed the bag up tight and then placed it in the direct glare of a thousand burning suns to fester and blossom, apparently ripening on the exact day I bought it and opened it in my kitchen.p>

I can only hope my little plants appreciate the stock with which they are now planted in because it is some grade A shit I'm sure, at least it smells that way. Please plants, grow up big and strong to I can put you in my belly.

Onto the food.

I really enjoy making my own salad dressings, and this one was so super easy and so good you just have to try it. Yes, it's another recipe from the Veganomicon cookbook, but I'm going to give you the recipe for free because, come on - it's just dressing. However, I did have some of this dressing left over and I used it as a marinade for a few tuna steaks that CB put on the grill and it was delicious as a marinade as well. Whatever, go nuts with it.

Maple Mustard Dressing Veganomicon
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp dijon or whole grain mustard
3 tbsp grapeseed or nut oil
1/2 tsp mustard powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Whisk all ingredients together and store in an airtight container. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.

1 comment:

Cornelia said...

Ha! It stinks, but poop does wonders for fledgling veggies! They say worm poop is less stinky, but I'm not so sure. I'm building a vermicomposter this weekend for my porch - in Cambridge - hi neighbor! So happy to have found your blog - please keep in touch.
Cornelia
HOMEGROWN