Monday, September 15, 2008

Vegan Banana Mango Ginger Sunflower Seed Bread

I made this ages ago, took a picture, loaded it to Flickr and then just forgot to blog it. So, it's not weight watchers, it is low fat, not counting points kind of low fat, but still, you can eat it and not feel terribly guilty about it, just stop at one piece.

My first day on weight watchers wasn't terrible. I can see how it would be difficult to know the point value of a lot of food that I would typically bake or cook, so it will just be best for me to stick to ww inspired recipes until I get the hang of things. I still don't quite understand the activity points that you can earn through exercise, considering I'm sure most people just starting the program aren't banging out 8 mile runs like I did today. That run would pretty much translate into 8 extra points, I think, which seems a little counterproductive to me, right now. So, we'll see how it goes, I'm just doing it on line, I'm not going to meetings, I'm sure those are more effective, but with my schedule it's just not an option.

Here we go...

Low Fat Banana, Ginger, Mango Sunflower Seed Bread 
Inspired by Veganomicon
2 large or 3 small very ripe bananas
1/4 C applesauce
1/4 C canola oil
1/2 C sugar
2 tbsp molasses
2 C all purpose flour
3/4 tsp b. soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 C chopped dried mango
1/8 C chopped crystallized ginger
1/4 C toasted sunflower seeds

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas, add sugar, applesauce, oil and molasses, whisk briskly to incorporate. 

Sift the flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Mix until the wet and dry ingredients are just combined. Fold in the mango, ginger and sunflower seeds. 

Transfer to the pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Rating - Damn Good


No comments: