Saturday, August 15, 2009

As Paul Says....Hippie Bread

The same man who ate a burger off a grill that had been placed over a fire, lit with a flare and possibly fueled by wood, beach trash, latex etc. (see here) referred to this as Hippie Bread. I suppose it is, but it didn't stop him from eating it, I don't think. Although, maybe he just said he tried it. I'm not sure. Next time I visit, I'm going to bring Guinness bread, that he can't possibly have a problem with, unless of course, I add to many nuts or something and, (as he puts it) totally shit-ify the whole thing.

I absolutely loved this bread. I based it on this recipe. I didn't add the curry powder, but I did add about 1/3 cup sunflower seeds which I think was a great addition. I also added about 1/8 cup candied lemon rind which also added a nice zing to the bread.

I think that if you like zucchini bread, and you have a few dozen lying around like I do at the moment, this is a fabulous way to use some up. They are also good as door stoppers, paper weights, whiffle-ball bats.

I did get a recipe for zucchini relish today that a friend of my aunt made and brought to the aforementioned Maine Grilling Party, which was absolutely to die for and I can't wait to make it.

Now, I ask you. Does anyone have any good recipes for carrots? I bought one of those ridiculously large bags of baby carrots at BJ's the other day - and I don't think I will be able to eat them all before the use by date. Does anyone have any really good carrot muffin or carrot scone or carrot whatever recipes that would use up some of the shit ton of carrots that are in my refrigerator?

Rating = So Damn Good

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first instinct was 'make soup'! Either a creamy, coconut curry carrot, or this one (which is a family favourite). CARROT LENTIL SOUP
1 + 1/2 cups red lentils
7-8 cups veg. broth
1/2 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp each cumin/coriander/paprika
3 large carrots, diced
1 red pepper, diced
-chopped fresh coriander/cilantro to taste (I use a handful)
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
kosher salt and fresh black pepper- to taste

Bring lentils and broth to a boil in a large pot and skim off froth. Stir in onion, garlic & seasonings. Reduce heat to med-low. Stir carrots and peppers into soup, cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 15 mins. Stir in coriander, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve immediately or refrigerate, up to 3 days. It also freezes very well.

You can add as many carrots as you want, really. I use my mini-chopper for the onions, then the carrots, then the red pepper. They get pretty finely diced, but I like the soup that way, and it is less time consuming. You can also bump up the cumin if you like it, and use fresh parsley instead of cilantro.
Low-fat, high-fibre, high protein and yummy!
~Lesley

Lexi said...

Lol, I think "shit-ify" might have to be put in the dictionary after this post...As for the carrot situation, I have an amazing carrot cake recipe if you'd like to try it :]

Allison said...

Hey! Thanks for the tip on Russo's. We just loved it.

JB said...

AM - I'm so glad that you liked it. I haven't been in a couple weeks so I'm planning on going tomorrow. Did you get anything good?

Jennywenny said...

I'm pretty fond of coleslaw but this has to be my favourite carrot cake recipe:
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/low-fat-moist-carrot-cake.html

I always add some walnuts and dried cranberries. It works wonderfully in cupcakes, or as a cake. Very moist and not greasy.

I usually just add 1.5 tsp baking powder to wholemeal pastry flour to make it self raising!

Dad said...

I don't have the recipe, but I have a jar of dilled carrots that appears to contain only carrots, vinegar, dill sprigs, and red pepper flakes. They're moderately hot. I like them a lot.

Allison said...

We got some fabulous veggies at Russo's, and lasagna. Jim got some really stinky blue cheese. I love a great grocery store, and any more they are few and far between.

Anonymous said...

When I make zucchini (i.e. Hippie Bread) I use half zuc and half grated carrots. Sweetens it without shitifying it up and adds a little more texture than just zucs. AJ

JB said...

Ah, half grated carrots, will try that next time.