Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Black Bean, Corn and Zucchini Enchilada | Cooking Light

This is not my picture, I copied it from the Cooking Light website. We ate the enchiladas too fast for me to even think about taking a picture.

We first had this dish at my friend Hallie's house, and we have been dying to make it ever since. It takes some time because you have to make the enchilada sauce and the vegetables separate, but it's really no different than having to make a marina sauce for pasta or for a casserole in advance of assembling and baking the dish. Its a good meal to feed a crowd as it makes 8 huge, fat, stuffed enchiladas. You can easily double this recipe for a party or a pot luck. In addition to the zucchini, corn and black beans, I pan fried some extra firm tofu and added that to the zucchini mixture for extra protein in the dish. This is a great recipe, and at 342 calories and 4.2 grams of fat per serving (one enchilada) it won't undo your diet at the end of the day. Serve with a nice cold Dos Equis and call it a day.

Here is a link to the recipe on the Cooking Light website. LINK!

Rating = So Damn Good

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will definitely try this. Would you bother to throw in some cooked chicken, or is tofu the way to go?
~Lesley

JB said...

Lesley - I don't eat chicken, so I wouldn't add it personally, but I'm sure it would be great if you do like chicken. If you try it with chicken post a comment and let everyone know how you liked it.
JB

MrsMollyK said...

Question... say I assembled this all the night before and left it in the fridge overnight... would it be ruined and soggy and a mess if I tried to cook it in the oven the next day after sitting in it's own juices for a whole night? Should I just assemble the sauce and the fillings and store them separate to save time?

thanks! Molly

JB said...

Molly, I actually think that it would be ok to assemble the night before. I would maybe increase the cooking time to "crisp" it a little more.

Let me know if you do make it ahead of time and let me know how it comes out.

(But making the filling and sauces ahead and then assembling the next day sounds like a good idea too)

MrsMollyK said...

Okay thanks! I think i will try this next week when it's not 90 plus degrees. Have not felt like turning on the oven this week.

I will let you know how it comes out.