Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Barrel Fever | Duckhorn Decoy Cabernet Savignon 2007

You know when you are driving and you have one of those trips where you consistently miss the green lights; like where if you had just a little more you would have made every light, and how unbelievably frustrating that is. That's how this wine was for me. I've literally been pining over Duckhorn since we went to Napa and didn't have time to visit this winery, or its sister winery Paraduxx. We have however had a Paraduxx wine and it was so delicious, and considering it's the step sister to Duckhorn, I assumed the Duckhorn would be heads above it.

It wasn't. I got no nose, all I smelled was hot, I drank it, expecting all the big cab flavors to roll over my tongue, firm tannins, lingering finish, all I got was alcohol burn. I decided it needed time to breathe; I gave it 24 hours. The next night I tried again, again it was too tight, too hot, just missing every green light, forcing me to sit and wait for something that never came.

In my wine journal I wrote my thoughts and pledged to try this wine again in a few years.
It was a gift, I didn't pay for it, I'm going to buy it again lay it down, give it more bottle time, and hopefully love it later.

Duckhorn Decoy, Cabernet Savignon, 2007
75% Cabernet 25%Merlot
Cost: $30
Rating = too tight, a bit too hot, needs time in the bottle, check back again in a few years.

No comments: