Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Brussel Sprout Hash with Caramelized Shallots (Molly's suggestion)

Do you see that hot brussel sprout action? Molly, thank you so much for the link to this recipe. I made it on Saturday when Chris was out running errands, and it was so good that I neglected to tell him that I made it and I've been secretly eating it all week - and now it's gone. He only reads this blog every few months, so by the time he reads this it will be old news, but it was so good I kept it from him. What I will admit to is totally weight watchering the recipe. This is the original recipe.

6 tbsp butter (3/4 stick) divided
1/2 pound shallots thinly sliced
coarse kosher salt
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
4 tsp sugar
1 1/2 pounds brussel sprouts trimmed
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup water

Melt 3 tbsp butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper, saute until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar, stir until brown and glazed, about 3 minutes.

Halve brussel sprouts lengthwise, cut lengthwise into thin (1/8 inch) slices. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add brussel sprouts, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute until brown at edges, 6 minutes. Add 1 cup of water and 3 tbsp butter. Saute until most of the water evaporates and sprouts are tender but still bright green, 3 minutes. Add shallots, season with salt and pepper.

That was the original recipe, to make it suitable for weight watchers I eliminated all the butter in the recipe, I coated a nonstick saute pan liberally with cooking spray and added a little bit of olive oil to the pan and cooked the shallots at a lower temperature so they wouldn't burn. I did the same thing with the brussel sprouts, and when adding the water I just completely ignored the instruction to add butter. Honestly, this recipe was so amazing in this low fat version I can't even imagine what it is like with all that butter, I hasten to think that the butter may be overkill, and might mask some of the natural flavor of the shallot and the sprouts. I don't know, all I know is the low fat version rocked, make whichever one you think you would like best.

Thanks again Molly for the link.

Rating = So God Damn Goood

PS: How bout them SAINTS!

1 comment:

MrsMollyK said...

YAY! I'm glad you liked it. I always make the original version and it's amazing, though a healthier version is always a good thing! I will have to try it your way next time.