Saturday, April 24, 2010

Reader Challenge #4 (Beets and Kale) | Beet, Kale, Mango Couscous

Sorry it took me so long to post this, I actually made it last weekend, but  just haven't had the opportunity to post it. I was so glad to get beets as a vegetable because I recently found out that I frigging love beets. I mean, I love them if they don't come out of a can, if they are picked up fresh from the market, roasted and topped with a little sea salt. I actually planted some beets a little while ago, goodness I hope they make it because I would really love to go to the back yard next month and pull some fresh beets out of the ground. 


My Google search for beets and kale came up with a recipe from a blog called The Adventurous Eater, and a post titled "New Orleans Return" Lentil Salad: Beets, Mango, Kale, Caramelized Onion and Shallot I didn't really understand the New Orleans part until I put the whole salad together and realized it was all Mardi Gras King Cake colors. Definitely a festive looking salad. I made minor changes to the recipe, and going forward, I would make this recipe again, but instead of couscous I think I would use orzo pasta, I think that would be an even better option.


This recipe is very good - great for cookouts as the side dish can sit outside and you don't  have to worry about eggs, mayo or anything else going bad in it, plus it's really pretty.


Here's how I made it.


Beet, Kale, Mango Couscous
2 beets, ends removed and individually wrapped in tin foil with a bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and sea salt, crimped shut at the top, roasted on a sheet pan about 60 to 75 minutes; remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10-15 minutes (rub off skin with a paper towel once cool enough to handle, cut into a large dice)


1 small yellow onion peeled and cut along the grain in 1/4" slices, caramelized in a medium size pan with a combo of olive oil and canola oil and a pinch of salt over medium-low heat for about 45-60 minutes.


4-5 large kale leaves rinsed, deveined, and cut into large chunks, then sauteed/wilted for about 10 minutes over medium-medium-high heat then drained of excess juices.


1 mango, flesh diced (you can saute for a few minutes if you wish, I did)


vinagrette of 1 part balsamic vinegar, 3 parts olive oil, 1 TBSP dijon mustard, 1 TBSP honey, 1 pinch sea salt, healthy squeeze from 1/2 a fresh lemon


1 cup dry coucous prepared to package instructions.


Toss lentils with vinaigrette, add salt and additional lemon juice to taste. Add beets, onion/shallot mixture, kale, mango, cheese, pepper, and additional salt to taste as needed. 


Rating = So God Damn Good


Seriously, this recipe is amazing, try it, either with couscous or orzo past. Thanks for the recommendation I am so glad I got to try this combination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have never put beets, kale and mango together, so thanks for trying this out (first!). I am looking forward to making it. ~Lesley