Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Eggplant Caviar | Real Simple

I tried to plant eggplant last year. They died. Actually they didn't die, they never grew, zip, zero, nada, nothing. I will try again this year if only to make this recipe over and over and over again. Simple, delicious, oh my God put more in my face please.

I had heard of eggplant caviar before, I think my father had mentioned it to me once, and asked if I had ever tried it. I thought it sounded intriguing, but you know eggplant, it can either be delicious or it can really suck. I was nervous about making this because it had so few ingredients. Fear not my fellow foodies....it's damn good. Make it.Like Now.

Eggplant Caviar  
1 large eggplant (about 1 1⁄2 pounds)
1/2 small onion, finely chopped (1⁄4 cup) 
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more for serving
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon mayonnaise (optional)
kosher salt and black pepper 

Heat oven to 400° F. Using a fork, prick the eggplant all over. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until very tender, 50 to 60 minutes.

When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, halve it lengthwise and scrape out the flesh, discarding the skin. Finely chop the flesh and transfer it to a large bowl.

Add the onion, garlic, parsley, oil, vinegar, mayonnaise (if using), ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and mix to combine. Sprinkle with additional parsley and serve with the bread and vegetables, if desired. 

Per Serving: Calories 140; Fat 5g; Fiber 7g

1 comment:

stoned fox said...

You need to add chopped roasted red peppers to this to make it perfect. And more colorful.